If you are one of the unfortunate people who experience bleeding gums every time they brush their teeth, then you must not commit the folly of taking your ailment lightly. It’s not a mere coincidence that you are experiencing these symptoms, it has a reason behind it. The sooner you do away with the reason, the better. Without keeping you in dark about the reason for long, we would like to inform you that the root of the problem is a gum infection. It usually shows up in other symptoms like irritation in the gums and bad breath. You are fortunate to be born in an era where information is available at the click of a mouse and treatment is readily available in every city. The discomfort caused can be treated by consulting a dentist as soon as possible. Periodontal therapy will significantly help you reduce the problems.
How did you get it?
Gum disease has several reasons behind it. It is triggered by the deposition of plaque and tartar on the gums. The deposition causes infection in the oral tissues which lead to gum irritation. Nip the infection in the bud as advanced gum disease will wreak havoc with your dental health and the effects will be permanent. Be careful if you have the following habits-
- You use tobacco regularly-Tobacco is not good news for your overall health anyway. It is the main culprit behind oral cancer and a weak immune system. However, the most significant problem can be seen in the gums. People who chew tobacco or indulge in smoking have double chances of getting affected by gum disease.
- Oral hygiene is something you take lightly –If you think maintaining oral hygiene is a complete waste of time, think again. Irregular brushing and flossing habits lead to gum diseases as plaque and bacteria will take no time to deposit on your gums. So do take good care of your precious 32 and the gums beneath it.
- You are genetically predisposed to the condition –Many people are genetically more susceptible to developing gum disease. It is because they have stronger bacteria in their mouth
Signs that you have Gum Disease
Visiting the dental clinic is a must as sometimes the symptoms are evident only when the disease has reached advanced stages. It is important if you want to catch diseases early. Some symptoms will help you in catching it –
- Tenderness or swelling in the gums
- Sores in the mouth
- Loosening of teeth
- Bad breath
- Pus oozing out between the teeth and the gums
- Bleeding during brushing
- Recession of gums
If the condition is left untreated, it may lead to serious problems like tooth loss. The periodontal treatment for the same will include the removal of tartar and plaque through scaling and root planing procedure. It includes thorough cleaning of the gum line to remove all the infection-causing microorganisms from it.